Fraud is a sad reality every day in the finance sector. However, fraudsters are adapting and preying on the fear and uncertainty many are feeling due to the COVID-19 outbreak, and we want to keep our clients informed so they can better protect themselves.
We have seen a significant increase in email-based fraud attempts (i.e. phishing) against our clients since the COVID-19 outbreak.
Ascendant's policy has always been to confirm instructions via phone before taking any action, and we do not take any instructions from unverified email addresses purporting to be clients. We also regularly train our staff on how to spot scam emails, and log them when they do occur. We are doing everything in our power to protect you, and we ask you to do the same to protect yourselves.
There are many other COVID-19 scams floating around that could target you or your business. Here is a handy list of links to educate yourself:
- US Dept. of Justice: site
- CISA – Defending against COVID-19 cyber scams: site
- StaySafeOnline – COVID-19 Security Resource Library: site
- 5 tips from homeland security to help you avoid COVID-19 scams: site
- Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre: site
- How to spot phishing scams arising from COVID-19: site
- Canada – False and misleading claims: site
- IT World Canada: site
- Global News: site
- WHO – Beware of criminals pretending to be WHO: site
- NCSC issues guidance in response to COVID-19: site
If you are concerned you may have been a victim of fraud, or have any questions, please feel free to contact us any time. We remain fully-operational and ready to help!
All the best,
The AscendantFX Team